- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 pound fresh dark sweet cherries, pitted and halved (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place butter in a 13×9-in. baking pan; heat in oven until butter is melted, 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from oven; tilt carefully to coat bottom and sides with butter. Immediately sprinkle with 3/4 cup sugar. Arrange cherries in a single layer over sugar, cut side down.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and remaining 1-1/2 cups sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Batter may appear curdled. Spoon over cherries.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Test Kitchen tips
- The best way to pit a cherry for this recipe is to treat it like an avocado. Slice all the way around the pit, twist to open, and then pop out pit with your finger.
- If you can’t find fresh cherries in your market, you can use thawed, frozen cherries instead.
1 piece: 266 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.