- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, julienned
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound zucchini or yellow summer squash, julienned (about 6 cups)
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 cups frozen lima beans (about 12 ounces), thawed
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and garlic; cook and stir until tender, 5-8 minutes. Add broth, carrots, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add zucchini, tomatoes, hominy lima beans and turkey. Cook until zucchini is tender, 5-8 minutes. Top with basil; serve with Parmesan cheese.
1-1/4 cups: 187 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.