- 2-1/2 tablespoons butter
- 12 springs thyme
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into ¼ inch plus slices
- ¾ to 1 pound waxy potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup Gruyere, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt the butter in a 9-10 inch frying pan over medium heat. Add the thyme and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Place the potato, oil, Gruyere, mozzarella and salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Top the onion with the potato mixture. Evenly distribute the potatoes into a even layer and gently press them into place.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Turn upside down on a large plate to serve