- 1 package devil’s food cake mix (regular size)
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups cola
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- CHOCOLATE-COVERED STRAWBERRIES:
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 12 fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant chocolate drink mix
- 1/4 cup cola
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, cola, oil and extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased 13×9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Wash strawberries and pat dry. Dip each strawberry into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Garnish each serving with a chocolate-covered strawberry.
Editor’s Note: Diet cola is not recommended for this recipe.
1 piece: 556 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (65g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.