- 1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Beat in orange juice. Combine the flour, orange zest, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves; add to creamed mixture just until combined. Fold in carrots.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
1 each: 173 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.