- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- t teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon soda
- 2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sanding Sugar
For the Cookie Dough:
- Cream the butter and sugars in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg, orange juice concentrate and vanilla and combine well.
- Combine flour, salt and soda. Add to the flour mixture and mix until well combine.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for several hours or overnight.
For the Date Filling:
- Combine dates, sugar and water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the mixture resembles a thick jam. Add the orange juice concentrate Watch it carefully. I burned my first batch because I got distracted for a minute.
To Assemble Cookies:
- Divide the chilled dough in half and roll out one piece to a thickness of ¼ inch. I used a 2-3/4 inch scalloped cookie cutter. You can make them any size you wish or you can cut out large circles and fold the little pies in half…whatever you prefer. Place a generous teaspoon of date filling on a dough circle and top with another piece of dough. Gently press down on the top to flatten the cookie JUST A LITTLE BIT. This makes it easier to crimp the edges with a floured fork. When all the little date sandwiches are made brush the tops of the cookies with an egg yolk mixed with 2 teaspoons of water. Sprinkle with sanding sugar. Refrigerate unbaked cookies for 15-20 minutes, the bake in a 375 degree F oven for 10-12 minutes. (350 degree Convection for 8-10 minutes).