- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Corn chips
- Chopped green onions, chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and half of the onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Spread refried beans into a 13×9-in. dish; top with beef mixture, tomatoes, green pepper and remaining onion. Layer with sour cream and cheese. If desired, top with chopped green onions and chopped tomatoes. Serve with chips.
1 serving: 117 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.