- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, egg, shortening, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 1 cup flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Pour syrup into a greased 13×9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with walnuts. In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Punch down dough; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 24×8-in. rectangle. Spread with butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 24 slices.
- Place in prepared baking dish, cut side down. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before inverting buns onto a platter.
1 bun: 159 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 114mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.