- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Pizza sauce, optional
- Roll dough into a 12×9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl; add the spinach, cheeses, garlic, fennel seed, oregano and salt.
- Spread beef mixture lengthwise down the center of dough. On each long side, cut 1 strips 3 in. into center.
- Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Brush with egg white. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with pizza sauce if desired.
1 piece: 366 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 709mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.