- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- Place the carrots, potatoes and turnip in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain vegetables and place in a large bowl; stir in the white sauce, chicken, peas, mushrooms and onions. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. round baking dish.
- Place pastry over filling; trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months or bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- To use frozen potpie: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover edges of crust loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; remove foil. Bake 55-60 minutes longer or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
1-1/2 cups: 620 calories, 31g fat (15g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 1360mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 28g protein.