- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 7 medium tart apples, peeled and cored
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 teaspoons sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. In a small bowl, combine 1 egg, water and vinegar; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into seven portions.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. square. Place an apple on each pastry square; place 1 tablespoon butter in the center of each. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over apples.
- Bring up corners of pastry to center; pinch edges to seal. Beat remaining egg; brush over pastry. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until smooth and blended. Pour over apples. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown, basting occasionally with sauce. Serve warm.
1 each: 974 calories, 47g fat (19g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 134g carbohydrate (100g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.