- 4 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 large egg
- Optional: vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and cloves. Add apples and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Dot with butter.
- In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk milk and egg; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls over apple mixture. Bake until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 35-40 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream or heavy cream and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
1 serving: 244 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.