- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pizza sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in 1 can pizza sauce and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine biscuit mix, milk and egg; stir just until moistened. Spread half the batter onto bottom of a greased 13×9-in. baking pan. Spread with remaining pizza sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, pepper, onion and beef mixture. Spoon remaining batter over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with tomato. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
1 piece: 369 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 710 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate (4 g sugars, 3 g fiber), 26 g protein.