- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 medium Bartlett pear, peeled and chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine milk, sugar, yeast mixture and 1.5 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 4 portions. Roll each into a 12-in. circle. Place 1 circle on a parchment-lined 14-in. pizza pan. For filling, combine butter, brown sugar, vanilla and spices. Spread circle with a third of the filling. Repeat twice, layering dough and filling; top with pears. Top with final portion of dough.
- Place a 2-1/2-in. round cutter on top of the dough in center of circle (do not press down). With a sharp knife, make 16 evenly spaced cuts from round cutter to edge of dough, forming a starburst. Remove cutter; grasp 2 strips and rotate twice outward. Pinch ends together. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°. Brush with beaten egg. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
1 piece: 178 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 37mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.