- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- Honey, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and mix well. Beat in milk and vanilla until almost smooth, about 1 minute. Combine 1-3/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until combined (batter will be thick). Toss blackberries with the remaining flour until coated; fold into batter.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at until muffins are golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with honey if desired.
1 muffin: 156 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.