- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 6 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of 4 greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease parchment.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in water just until blended.
- In a microwave, melt unsweetened chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with chocolate mixture, beating after each addition. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For chocolate filling, melt chocolate in a microwave; stir until smooth. Stir in butter until blended. Stir in almonds.
- For whipped cream, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/3 cup chocolate filling and 1 cup whipped cream. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining cake and chocolate filling.
- Spread remaining whipped cream over sides of cake. Press almonds onto sides. Spoon pie filling over top of cake. Refrigerate until serving.
To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
1 slice: 596 calories, 41g fat (22g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.